This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission from some companies mentioned in this post. There's no additional cost for the reader when using an affiliate link. Read the full disclosure here.
Singapore is a really unique Asian travel destination. It’s different than other Asian countries.
Emergency number: 999
General information about Singapore
Singapore is totally different than most Asian countries. It’s a city state and it’s known for having one of the most beautiful airports in the world.
Some general information that you need to know:
- Capital: Singapore
- Currency: Singapore dollar (SGD)
- Official language: Malay, Tamil, Mandarin Chinese and English
- Largest religion: Buddhist
- Neighboring countries: Malaysia connected with a bridge.
- Independence: 9th August 1965
Weather in Singapore
The best time to visit Singapore is between March to October but it is possible to visit all year round. There are four seasons which are all hot but can be dry or wet. The rain season is between December and March. For more information on the climate you can visit this website.
Transport in Singapore
In Singapore it’s easy to take public transport. It depends on your preference, but you can take the Mass Rappid Transit or the bus system. I would recommend buying a Singapore tourist pass which has a lot of advantages. Read all about it on their website and check out the system map from Singapore.
Tip: download Grab Car, you can easily take a taxi with Grab Car for a low fixed price if it’s necessary.
Food in Singapore
Singapore is known for its seafood and meat dishes. Some dishes you need to try out are the following:
- Chili Crab and black pepper crab
- Sambal stingray
- Laksa: a noodle soup dish with seafood
- Roti prata: a Indian flatbread often served with curry
- Nasi lemak: a rice dish that you can choose with seafood, meat or vegetables
- Hainanese chicken rice
- Roast meat
- Kaya toast and eggs
- Nasi Biryani: a sort of rice with herbs and most of the time eaten with meat